|"The Princess and the Witch"|
|Original Air Date||November 2, 2006|
|English Air Date||May 24, 2008|
|Written by||Ichirō Ōkouchi|
|Directed by||Satoshi Toba|
|His Name is Zero||The Stolen Mask|
The Princess and the Witch is the fifth episode of Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion.
To Lelouch's surprise, C.C., the girl who gave him Geass, is alive and now living in his residence. Suzaku, having been acquitted of all charges, accidentally meets Third Princess Euphemia li Britannia and ends up intervening in an internal pureblood struggle. Meanwhile, Second Princess Cornelia li Britannia endeavors to take charge of Area 11 as Viceroy and bring Zero, now the Holy Britannian Empire's number one enemy and most wanted man, to justice.
PlotIt begins as a group of Bamides open fire upon Britannian tanks, only to have Guilford and Andreas Darlton counter attack in their Gloucester Knightmares. As the Bamides begin to fall, the base they were defending erupts in a burst a flame as Cornelia has gone ahead in her own Knightmare to destroy the base and fully establish Area 18. She then makes plans with Darlton to head to Area 11, find Zero, and avenge Clovis.
Lelouch is then seen walking into his residence at Ashford Academy and is surprised to be greeted by C.C. and Nunnally. They had both been waiting for him and passed time by folding paper cranes. Nunnally asks about the relationship between the two and C.C. replies by saying that they made a contract, causing Nunnally to think they are engaged. Lelouch frantically tries to play off C.C.’s comment as a joke but when that fails, he purposefully drops a cup of tea on the floor, pretending as if it got C.C. wet in order to get her away from Nunnally. In Lelouch’s room he begins to question her as to who she really is and why she isn’t dead. They briefly talk about Geass and Lelouch’s plans for destroying Britannia, but before many answers can be given, C.C. abruptly says goodnight to Lelouch and ends the conversation.
The following night, Lelouch and C.C. are talking in his room and it is revealed that "Orange" was nothing but a clever ruse to sow the seeds of suspicion and division in the Britannian military. C.C. continues to eat her pizza and dryly asks if he has gotten the response he wanted. Lelouch replies that even more chaos is inevitable before he topples Britannia.
It shifts to Suzaku after he has been acquitted of the charges of murder placed against him. He is walking down a sidewalk when suddenly a pink haired girl drops out of the sky and right into Suzaku’s arms. She claims that some bad guys are chasing her and asks for his help.
Meanwhile, a secret plot amongst the purebloods is being planned in order to kill Jeremiah before Cornelia becomes viceroy. Kewell Soresi accuses Jeremiah of feigning amnesia in order to hide secrets, but Villetta Nu is shown to believe that what happened to Jeremiah is similar to what happened to her, when her Knightmare was stolen.Suzaku and the girl, who is revealed to be Euphemia "Euphy" li Britannia, are still together and are now walking at a leisurely pace when Euphy stumbles upon an injured cat. The cat promptly bites Suzaku, making the latter announce that his love for felines are one-sided. At the same moment, Lloyd and Cecile arrive in order to give Suzaku a ride. Without Suzaku knowing, they see him walking with Euphy. Euphy then puts a bandage around the cat’s leg in the hope that it will help him heal. For some reason, the cat still hates Suzaku and hisses at him before running away. Suzaku and Euphy spend the remainder of the day together visiting stores and being stalked by Lloyd until Euphy requests to be taken to the Shinjuku Ghetto.
That same day, Kallen Stadtfeld approaches Lelouch (who learns of Suzaku's acquitting online) at Ashford Academy to see if he can track down the phone number of the person that called her whilst she was in the shower. Lelouch is able to play it off by saying that he can't since it was a school phone; however, behind Kallen’s back, C.C., dressed in Lelouch’s clothes, is twirling around and seems to be searching for something. Before Kallen can turn around and see C.C., Lelouch grabs her face with both hands and keeps her looking straight at him. Unfortunately, Shirley Fenette sees Lelouch holding Kallen and to her it looks like they are kissing. C.C. scampers off for unknown reasons, and Kallen is confused because it really looks like Lelouch is about to kiss her, but he simply lets her go. Shortly there-after, Lelouch confronts C.C. on the roof of the school. He tries to tell her not to do things like that might get her caught but she shrugs it off. As she turns and looks over the balcony an unnamed female student is making marks on the wall while under the influence of Geass. Lelouch explains that she is a test subject that he is using in order to find the limits of his Geass.
Suzaku and Euphy arrive at the Shinjuku Ghetto that evening as some Britannian civillians are taking pictures of the battle ground. Also that day, Jeremiah receives a message suggesting that Zero is also in Shinjuku Ghetto and he rushes off in his Knightmare to follow the lead. It shifts yet again as Tamaki rushes into the same area that Suzaku and Euphy are at. He begins to yell at the Britannian civilians and a confrontation seems inevitable until Suzaku runs up and tries to calm everyone down. Tamaki hits Suzaku and calls him a traitor. But, Suzaku is military trained and so Tamaki gets thrown to the ground when he comes at Suzaku again. After that, Tamaki and the others with him lose interest and walk off leaving the Britannians alone. Instead of being grateful to Suzaku the Britannians just complain and get upset that he didn’t kill Tamaki and the others. Euphy finally steps in and defends Suzaku by slapping the complainer right in the face.At that same time, Lelouch and C.C. are still in his room as Lelouch explains the intricacies of his power. There is then a moment where Suzaku and Lelouch are shown talking about the problems of the Britannian Empire. Ultimately Suzaku says he doesn’t know exactly how to stop the fighting while Lelouch just plans on wiping out all those that support war. After this brief moment of dialog, it goes back to Shinjuku and it is discovered that the message Jeremiah received earlier was actually just the setup for a trap. Jeremiah is confronted by Kewell and three other knightmares that want to kill him. Lloyd and Cecile show up with the Lancelot and Suzaku decides to get involved with the conflict and try to stop it. Jeremiah is getting beaten pretty badly but Suzaku arrives just in time to save him. After Suzaku starts winning, Villeta shows up in her knightmare and helps Jeremiah out of the conflict as well. Euphy runs into the battlefield just as Kewell deploys a chaos mine. Fortunately, Suzaku’s Lancelot has a blaze luminous shield that he uses to protect himself and Euphy. After he saves her, she steps into the middle of the fray and reveals that she is the third princess of Britannia and orders everyone to withdraw. After everyone lowers their weapons, Euphy asks for Suzaku’s help in making things better.
Euphy is next seen with Princess Cornellia as she scolds her for getting involved and being so reckless. Cornellia has only just arrived and while there are many matters that she needs to attend to, she eloquently states that she only really cares about finding and catching Zero.
The last moments show Suzaku in front of Lelouch’s class, at Ashford Academy, announcing that he will be joining them as a student.
Characters in Order of Appearance
Knightmare Frames in Order of Appearance
Powers or Abilities used
- "I'll drag you into the open, Zero. Clovis will be avenged!" - Cornelia li Britannia
- Conversation between C.C. and Lelouch
- "To use my Geass, I need to have direct eye contact with the subject. Transparent objects, like eyeglasses, present no problem. The effective range is approximately 270 meters and the subject appears to have no memory of events before, during or after the power is used. I think this is due to damage caused by the Geass interfering with the brain of the subject. Also, if the signal is optical, I can reflect it." - Lelouch Lamperouge
- Musing between Lelouch and Suzaku
- Lelouch Lamperouge: "Is it good to be strong?"
- Suzaku Kururugi: "Is it bad to be weak? Back then, when I was 10, the world seemed like such a terribly sad place. A world without any hope at all."
- Lelouch Lamperouge: "Starvation..."
- Suzaku Kururugi: "Disease..."
- Lelouch Lamperouge: "Filth... Decay..."
- Suzaku Kururugi: "Racism..."
- Lelouch Lamperouge: "Constant war and terrorism..."
- Suzaku Kururugi: "Living in a never-ending cycle of hate."
- Lelouch Lamperouge: "Rats running in a wheel..."
- Suzaku Kururugi: "The cycle must be broken. Somebody has to do it."
- C.C.: "How idealistic."
- Suzaku Kururugi: "Of course, it's doubtful that the one who does it will make all the bad things go away."
- Lelouch Lamperouge: "I'm not that arrogant. And, so..."
- Suzaku Kururugi: "No one should lose more of the people they love. At least, a world without war."
- C.C.: "And to have this utopia, you'd..."
- Euphemia: "How would you do it?"
- Lelouch Lamperouge: "It's simple," [Knocks out chess piece] "When somebody wins, the fighting will end."
- "Suzaku, you and I bear a similar deep pain. You have lost your father as I have lost my brother..." - Euphemia li Britannia
- "Yes, I understand. I'm lying, to Shirley and Rivalz and the others. Even to Suzaku and Nunnally. But there's no going back now, I can't turn back. As long as C.C. and I are bound by our contract, I have to keep at this. Because I don't want to lie to myself anymore." - Lelouch Lamperouge (Preview for the Next Episode.)